T-Rex of America Forum Index T-Rex of America
Forum for T-Rex Enthusiasts

Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6th gear fix/modifications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: 6th gear fix/modifications Reply with quote

Since I got my used 2007, the gear position indicator didn't go higher than the 4th gear even if I was in 6th. Here is what I have done to fix the problem.

I have modified the gear position sensor to make it ground the shift drum. Kawasaki uses the shift drum to apply a ground on one of the 7 contacts of the gear position sensor (1, N, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Because the shift drum is a moving part, the ground was far form excellent. Sometimes the reading was infinite. So I did this first modification:

After a short road test, I found that it helped but didn’t solve the problem. Before, the indicator wasn’t able to reach the 5th gear but after that mod, it was able to, but still not 6th.
After that disappointment, I started to look at the wiring. The wiring ground lug that is on the left behind the driver seat is not directly in contact with the chassis and that might cause problem with time. I’ve made a hole and remove the paint on the plate behind the seat belt and install the lug there. It didn't solve the problem but now I am sure that I have a good ground.

I have carefully looked at Kawasaki's schematic and I found that Campagna grounded the ECU at the regulator instead of the battery ground. By doing this, the return current of the ECU is mix with every thing including the lights. So I have cut the 3 ECU ground wires (black/yellow) and routed them to the battery ground with a 8 AWG black wire and lug. I took care of removing the paint at the base of the ground bolt at the battery tray. Paint makes bad connection.

Results:

Right now, I can't say if this modification would work for everyone but it did for me. I haven't tried to remove the mod of the sensor to see if the ECU grounding mod would work alone. Removing the reverse gearbox is not something I particularly enjoy. Keep in mind that if you perform this modification, you do it at your own risk. Make sure you have the skill and knowledge before you try anything. I hope that this information is helpful for those that wants to fix that problem.

If someone else tries this mod, please post the results.
Sexy_Rex
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

You da man Exclamation
21 Speed Cannondale M300 Bicycle
WAYNE 07
Lost & Confused

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics are fixed. Thanks for sharing the info Phil. thumleft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    T-Rex of America Forum Index -> Mods & Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: