T-Rex of America Forum Index T-Rex of America
Forum for T-Rex Enthusiasts

Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverse gearbox removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reverse gearbox removal Reply with quote

Can anyone give me the tip on what's required to disconnect the reverse cable when removing the reverse gearbox?

I have everything else off but obviously the cable needs to be disconnected before the gearbox will come free.

I will be out for the rest of today, but will probably be back at it tomorrow afternoon. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
J-rex
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sahould be held on w/ a clip on a ball and socket type joint like old carburator linkage put a small flat head screw driver in there and pop it out away from the box... should be all u need to do
JOHNNY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the cable is off, You must remove the ball, use 1/4 inch deep socket. When the ball is off ,you will be able to take everything off.
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have the clip off and the cable disconnected. (Thanks J-Rex)

Johnny, is it necessary to remove the ball before getting the gearbox out? Admittedly, I am a bit limited in what I can see from being in a wheelchair, but that does not seem to be the thing stopping it from coming out. I know that will have to be removed before splitting the casings, but it seems like something else is preventing the whole gearbox from coming out.

The whole thing is loose and the output shaft turns freely, but something else is still preventing it from coming off.

Any ideas on what I am missing? I am getting desperate here!!!

Thanks,
Gary
JOHNNY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 1200 ,don t forget the 2 bolts 7/16 .they are they allen key bolts and on the other side (behind the sproket along the casing 7/16 bolts, usually invisible hidden into chaine lube ) and yes you will have to remove the ball first. Then one casing will come off and then you will have to take the 27mm bolt off,.... hey give me a call anytime ,I will do it over the phone with you.
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johnny.

Of course you were right. I had missed one of the bolts on the right side that holds the case together. I had to jack it up a bit higher and get my head under the tail section to finally see it. As I said in an earlier post, a wheelchair is not the idea platform for working on a T-Rex.

Anyhow, I have the outer case off. I have removed the circlip, the toothed retaining washer and the last 27mm nut. I expected the sun gear to slide right off, but it won't budge. Is this normal? If so, what does everyone use to get it off?

Thank you,
Gary
JOHNNY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try tapping gently with a hamer, if it does not move , you wil have to use a puller. (tapping is usally good enought )
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny, I couldn't get it to budge by tapping it with a hammer, so I invested in a set of cheap gear pullers and off it came.

Thanks for all your help.

Hopefully I will have a reverse that actually works when I get done.

Gary
JOHNNY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was wrong with it ?
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had the typical hammering when trying to engage.

I was always able to get it in eventually, but it was a real pain, especially when hot. I used to make my friends push it whenever possible, just to prevent using it and making it worse. I always figured one day, it wouldn't work at all.

I am hoping the new backing plate with the wider slots will make a difference.

It's no fun getting stuck on flat ground and needing a push to get reverse engaged, especially when you don't have the option of getting out and pushing it yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    T-Rex of America Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: