T-Rex of America Forum Index T-Rex of America
Forum for T-Rex Enthusiasts

Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chain and Sprockets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRex
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Chain and Sprockets Reply with quote

Time for me to replace the chain and sprockets

Please tell me if these are the correct parts to order for a 2005 ZZR 1200 powered T-Rex:

530 chain at least 94 links

Front - 15 teeth, ZZR-1200
Rear - 50 teeth, ZX-11

Thanks!
George

"Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
GRex
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH - I had that backwards -

15 tooth front sprocket from ZX-11 (does it matter which ZX-11 version?)
and
50 tooth rear sprocket - but for what bike?

Thanks

"Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Sexy_Rex
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my post on "Sprocket Center" on the 1400R Technical Section
21 Speed Cannondale M300 Bicycle
GRex
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - that was just what I needed!

- Albert Einstein
WAYNE 07
Lost & Confused

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front- 2005 zzr1200 15 or 17 tooth
Rear- 1997 zx11 50 tooth
Chain 530 110 link
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a dumb post, but can someone give me a sanity check on the size of the swingarm allen head bolt that holds the saddle bag bracket in place. I couldn't get a caliper on it and guessed 17mm.

After going to Sears, getting the 17mm Allen socket this morning and finding out it's too big, I did what I should of done in the first place and dug up a 5/8 nut. It seems to fit perfectly, but I am still in denial that a vehicle made in Canada would be using a standard size bolt in the frame. Could it actually be 16mm?

I guess I might as well ask the size of the nut on the front sprocket while I'm at it. Without being able to move the bracket, I can't get a socket on it and it almost looks 1 inch, but surely it's 26mm, since that is the only metric socket I don't have.

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll take the time to answer this one...
fina920
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: SPROCKET Reply with quote

I AM TRYING TO CHANGE MY REVERSE SEALS, BUT I CAN NOT GET THE FRONT SPROCKET OFF TO GET TO THE REVERSE BOX. I GET THE LITTLE T-REX COVER OFF AND THEN THE SPROCKET NUT. I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE REST OF THE COVER OFF TO EXPOSE THE SPROCKET. AM I MISSING A SCREW SOMEWHERE. (I MEAN ON THE REX WAYNE NOT WHAT YOUR THINKING)
WAYNE 07
Lost & Confused

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
I know this is a dumb post, but can someone give me a sanity check on the size of the swingarm allen head bolt that holds the saddle bag bracket in place. I couldn't get a caliper on it and guessed 17mm.

After going to Sears, getting the 17mm Allen socket this morning and finding out it's too big, I did what I should of done in the first place and dug up a 5/8 nut. It seems to fit perfectly, but I am still in denial that a vehicle made in Canada would be using a standard size bolt in the frame. Could it actually be 16mm?

I guess I might as well ask the size of the nut on the front sprocket while I'm at it. Without being able to move the bracket, I can't get a socket on it and it almost looks 1 inch, but surely it's 26mm, since that is the only metric socket I don't have.

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll take the time to answer this one...

Sanity check.....Your fine. Campagna used metric and standard. The swing arm is 5/8 and I believe the front sprocket is 26mm (kawi=metric).
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wayne.

I figured the sprocket nut would be 26mm, since I have 24 and 27mm.

As for why Campagna decided to mix metric and standard on the same vehicle.. WTF knows? Maybe they started out standard and then the French Canadians got upset, so they had to include some metric.
WAYNE 07
Lost & Confused

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SPROCKET Reply with quote

fina920 wrote:
I AM TRYING TO CHANGE MY REVERSE SEALS, BUT I CAN NOT GET THE FRONT SPROCKET OFF TO GET TO THE REVERSE BOX. I GET THE LITTLE T-REX COVER OFF AND THEN THE SPROCKET NUT. I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE REST OF THE COVER OFF TO EXPOSE THE SPROCKET. AM I MISSING A SCREW SOMEWHERE. (I MEAN ON THE REX WAYNE NOT WHAT YOUR THINKING)

Keith your missing "3 screws". Laughing Go to a parts store and rent a steering wheel puller. It comes with ""3 long thin screws", a bracket and 1 large bolt that goes in the center of the bracket and pushes against the shaft in the center of the sprocket. You will need to use 3 of the long allen bolts that come from the reverse box and 3 washers (pick up at parts store) to replace the 3 bolts that come with the puller. These will screw into the holes where you removed the small cover from. Once these are in a good ways then you tighten the center bolt until it removes the cover. Yeah that sounded good but I just remembered that you have an older bike and it doesn`t have bolts holding the first small cover on. Guess your screwed... Razz You have two choices, either pry the sh.t out of it or I can send you a small cover that bolts on instead of snapping on and you can put it on, drill three holes and thread them so that you could use the puller. Call me if I can help buddy.
GRex
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny told me you can tap the cover off on the older models. Use a long metal rod from the opposite side of bike. I haven't tried this yet. I just pried mine off.

- Albert Einstein
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieth, I just took the front sprocket cover off my 2003.

My advice. Don't mess around trying to pry it off. I tried the lazy way first and all that achieved was some nasty gouges in the cover.

What you need is a piece of flat steel with two holes drilled in it. I used a piece of 1 1/2 X 3/16 inch flat stock I had lying around. I drilled two 1/4 inch holes 117 mm apart diagonally across the plate. I mounted to plate across the end of the sprocket shaft using two of the existing bolts and the nut from the water overflow bolt. You will need a spacer, or a few washers as the bolts will be too long. Then it's just a matter of tightening each bolt in turn until it falls right off.

It was incredably easy once you make up the plate.

Note that putting the right hand hole as close to the edge as possible will make it easier to position the plate.

Here's a picture to help visualize the plate.

Good luck, I hope this helps you, or someone else avoid some frustration.

[/img]
fina920
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: cover Reply with quote

wow what a pain. That makes sense though. I will try it this weekend. I was afraid to damage the cover by prying it off. Thanks for the picture as well.
Gary
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that I mistyped the hole spacing. It is actually 107 mm not 117 mm, but hopefully anyone doing it, will measure it themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    T-Rex of America Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: