T-Rex of America Forum Index T-Rex of America
Forum for T-Rex Enthusiasts

Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting/Running problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steggy97

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Starting/Running problems Reply with quote

Need help guys. Changed the oil in my 2003 with just over 6200 miles on it. Started just fine and took for a drive. I noticed my stereo was beginning to turn on and off when cranked up. Turned down volume and would stay on. After about 10 miles, the rex began to spit and sputter and would die if I pushed in the clutch but fire back up when u let the clutch out (basically push starting). There was no power to the dash cluster nor stereo. I pulled over and was unable to restart. After charging the battery to full charge overnight, I now have power to the dash cluster but no power to my stereo. Oil light, Nuetral light, and parking brake light all light up and I can hear a relay turning on and off with the key but get nothing when I hit the starter button. I have jumped the starter solenoid and still cannot get the starter to turn over. I checked the battery terminal connections and they r good and tight and the neutral switch appears to be working as it will shift in and out of the gears into neutral. Any ideas?
twn454
Killers Dad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad battery?
steggy97

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks twn454. I finally had time to check it out. Battery tender showed full charge but when I checked the voltage it was only putting out 5.98v. Replaced battery, fired right up. Everything working normal except for the stereo doesn't come on at all. Looked it up in owner's manual, and I think the low voltage set off the kenwood's protection mode. Just gonna have hit the reset button and hopefully it will turn on. So glad this forum is available cause I was dreading taking my baby anywhere to get worked on. You guys are awesome Exclamation
steggy97

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it appears the battery was just part of the problem. Took out for a cruise and the same thing happened after about 20 min of riding. Radio quit, tach started bouncing, and dash light got dim then non existent. Then died. Had a buddy come and hooked jumper cables up and charged the new battery. Fired up and rode home. At idle, shows 12.94v charging output from the alternator. With HIDs, stereo, and hazards all on it shows 12.4v. Does anyone know what the charging output should be on this 2003 unit? Also, where would they have hidden the voltage regulator so I can test that?
twn454
Killers Dad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running big amps on your radio? Check the quick connect coming off the alt to the wiring harness, the wires there burn up and loose connection,eliminate the quick connect and solder together. Take a good look at the starter solenoid behind passenger seat.
steggy97

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just running a kenwood deck and 4 speakers. Haven't added a powered subwoofer yet cause I'm unsure of wiring in a secondary battery especially after all this. Found the quick connect and is was all melted. Hardwired it in and it ran for almost two hours maintaining a constant output of 12.2-12.5v with all accessories on. Starter solenoid looked good. I think a bad battery plus this have been the issues. Thanks so much again for the help!
Muggz
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar setup in my '05 awhile back: kenwood dash, 4 speakers (no amp/sub), HID lights... on stock battery. It always sat on a battery tender if I didn't drive it for more than 4-5 days at a time, which helped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    T-Rex of America Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: