T-Rex of America Forum Index T-Rex of America
Forum for T-Rex Enthusiasts

Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 17" front wheels, decided against 18s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    T-Rex of America Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Jerome
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: New 17" front wheels, decided against 18s Reply with quote

The tire profile for the 18s made me nervous as I figured my fenders would take a beating and probably need addressed sooner rather than later. Iforged had a couple months lead time on what I wanted and most of the summer would be over by the time they arrived.

For now, these cheap Konig wheels will work. Im not a fan of Black wheels and definitely not a fan of other colors but with teh T-Rex I was a little more open minded. Im happy with the new look and need to have the rear wheel powdercoated black and the exhaust ceramic coated black soon to match the look.

Wheels are Konig 17x7 +40 offset with 205/40/17s Falken Azenis RT-615Ks. The front tires made a huge difference with preventing understeer and glad I went with such a soft compound. The +40 offset fits without spacers and does not rub on the fenders or fender mounting brackets. It does pull the wheels in slightly closer to the inside of the Rex but no real fitment issues. The new tire height is closer than I would like to the fenders and with the new sticky tires it does shoot a lot of rocks into the fenders.

There wasnt a lot of info out there about fitment for the T-Rex's so maybe this will help someone in the future. When these tires need replaced I will likely go to a 215/40 and run a 5mm hubcentric spacer to give the extra clearance I need.

Excuse the raised roof of my T-Rex original owner was a pretty tall dude I imagine and had the roof line raised from the factory. If anyone has any more info on other T-Rexs with this roof line I would be interested to hear more. There are no weld marks what so ever on the frame and the entire frame looks factory. The tail fiberglass piece looks factory modified and it is all professionally done. The roof line does sit about 5 inches higher than a standard REX. Would be interested if anyone had more info if possible.

Here are the pics

One pic of the old wheels which were horrible.

David Jerome
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly better pic but still bad Iphone camera quality.

Had to add about a 3-4mm washer beneath the upper fender mount to stop the tire rubbing against the fender reinforcements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    T-Rex of America Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: